Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday Already?

Well that seems to be how my new schedule goes. Monday's nice, Tuesday and Wednesday are a blur, and then Thursday is nice and slow again, which I am VERY excited about. Today I am a writer! (As a opposed to a teacher or student...)

With that being said, how's everyone's writing goals coming along? I'll give you my update first. Ready? I haven't worked on them. BUT that is my goal for the next two days. I have about 70 pages left editing of BEAUTY SECRETS and then I'm shipping it off to MWA.

And seeing it's Thursday, I thought I'd add the Weekly Mrs. Roosevelt quote, and there are so many good ones to choose. But, I stumbled across this one and thought it could apply to many of us out there, so here it is:

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

My first reflection on this is quote of course relates to writing and the courage it takes to become published. We face fear with every step, but become better individuals because of it. And how awesome is it when we accomplish something we didn't think possible? I think it's an amazing feeling.

But of course this quote could really apply to any goal. Nothing worth wanting in life comes easy. The trifecta of strength, courage and confidence is the winning equation to success. I should get that tattooed somewhere. Or maybe I'll just write in on a post-it note...

8 comments:

Joshua McCune said...

Digging the quote -- my goals are a little behind... did start querying (well, queried once -- still not completely happy w/ the query), but not quite done with the book, yet (probably 5k to go - maybe 7), but nothing too heavy on the edit side b/c I do heavy edits along the way...

Perhaps I'll be brave enough to send this one to betas... we'll see :)...

Stephanie Damore said...

Let me know - I'll be a beta if you'd like. I'm chicken when it comes to that stuff too - but you know what they say...

Wait, what do they say? Something about critiquing making us stronger...

Laura Martone said...

Ooh, I'll be a beta, Bane! I'll be a beta! Course, I should probably finish reading the mss I'm already committed to. LOL!

Great quote, Steph, only I'm not a terribly brave soul (and I get queasy at the sight of conflict), so mine would read more like...

"I lose strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which I fail to look fear in the face... I seldom do that which I think I cannot."

It's not completely true, of course, but it feels that way sometimes. Every time I fail to rise to the challenge - stand up to my mother, contradict a boss, finish my revision - I get a little weaker. Must change that.

Unknown said...

I've been really busy this week Steph. I hope the weekend will slow down so I can get some good writing in. I'd like to get a good chuck done, but we'll see how that ends up. I feel like I've made some good contacts through my day job and the workshop this week. I'll chalk that up as progress for now.

Stephanie Damore said...

Laura, you should just do what I do, forget the negative and focus on the positive - maybe that'll help change your current perspective.

Stephanie Damore said...

Jen - networking definitely qualifies as progress, even if it can't be quantified through word count. Good luck in getting some writing in this weekend!

Stephanie Damore said...

Oh and Laura - sorry, I just read my last comment and thought "like it's that easy right?" I guess I just mean that your attitude can determine your aptitude. You don't have to face every challenge like a warrior, but don't run away like a chicken either (not saying that you do). Sometimes your strength can surprise you if you give it a chance.

Laura Martone said...

Thanks, Steph! What can I say? I'm a work-in-progress!