Thursday, July 15, 2010

Your Genre

I got to thinking today about why I write in the genre that I do, I decided:

One, I write mostly cozies because I'm a scaredy cat. Cozies are just scary enough to keep me intrigued, but still able to sleep at night.

Two, I love solving a good mystery. The more twists and turns the better (as long as the reader can keep up and it all makes sense).

Three, because they're like the Utopian of genres. Bad things happen, but in the end everything is going to be okay because that's the way the world is. Every loose thread is tied up into a pretty little package. Justice is served.

Four, I love writing in themes. Beauty Secrets of course is a beauty-themed cozie, which means I get to talk about lipstick, style trends and murder all in the same book!

Fifth, not only do I love writing cozies, but I love reading them. I'm a firm believer that you should read what you write. If you don't, you won't know what's out there and what the current market trends are. You have to stay one step ahead in publishing (or try to) and knowing what's on the market is one way to do that.

So what about you? Why do you write the genre that you do?

No comments: