Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rewrites are hard

"Is it supposed to be this difficult?"

I find myself asking this repeatedly throughout the day.

I also keep thinking about a square peg in a round hole, and wonder what notions I have to let go of to make everything fit.

Rewrites are not easy. Make that reworking subplots are not easy. The biggest pain is getting everything to play out in a natural manner and separating what I know from what my reader knows. I also find myself questioning if the changes are making the story better and if they're achieving the goals as I outlined in the previous post.

Well, it sure is a good thing that I like a challenge. Throw in balancing a laptop on my knees while nursing a baby and you get an idea of how difficult this rewrite is shaping up to be. BUT, I am determined (and stubborn), which are excellent characteristics in a writer.

Happy writing.

No comments: