Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Am Commercial Fiction

And I'm not talking about my writing either. Nope, I'm talking about me. I'm commercial fiction all the way. You see, I like to think that I appeal to a broad audience. I try to at least. People are fascinating, from all walks of life. It's nice to be able to converse with everyone ranging from brain surgeons to homeless folks. Everyone has a good story. You don't need to have credentials or a house to be able to tell it.

I guess sometimes I'd like to be literary fiction, but I don't always fit in with the "intellectually adventurous audience." But you know what, I'm okay with that.

I think my writing reflects that too. At least BEAUTY SECRETS does. You don't have to be a literary fiction socialite to get it. To me that's important. Maybe someday I'll tackle a literary novel, but for now, good ol' fashioned whodunits are what you're going to get from me. Who doesn't like a good mystery anyway?

3 comments:

David Ebright said...

Congratulations on your guest blogging stint for Nathan - your new blog, your new website & completing your MS. WOW - you've been busy.

"Everyone has a good story. You don't need to have credentials or a house to be able to tell it." - Very awesome quote - I HAD to reply to that with "my story".

I was always a storyteller - finally put one on paper - after I turned 50! My credentials? Nothing that ould impress anyone in "the business" - I'm a happily married (34 years) - construction manager (office buildings & medical centers) - living at the beach in a very haunted town in Florida - father of 2 grown sons - have 2 grandkids & .... I write for kids. That background's pretty weird, but I ain't complainin'. Getting emails from readers (kids, parents & teachers) claiming to be stoked about the story, the characters & asking about a sequel is incredibly satisfying - & a real motivator to keep going.

My first book - 'Bad Latitude A Jack Rackham Adventure' was so much fun to write. It's selling well locally. My follow up - 'Reckless Endeavor' (Also a Jack Rackham Adventure) should be finished very soon (editing). For me - it's about action & twists, scary & funny with strong characters & crisp dialogue. I take grains of history & turn them into wild tales. Sorry - ain't nothin' literary 'boudit.

Like you - I haven't submitted to agents (in your case it's 'yet') - mostly 'cause I'm too old (& stubborn), but if I was a youngin' - I'd probably pursue it. I wish you well with your writing & hope your dream becomes a reality. All the best - Dave

Good job today BTW.

Stephanie Damore said...

Thanks for stopping by and telling your story Dave. Very awesome. I went and checked out your website and I'm definitely going to have to get your book. My nephews will love it - and I'm pretty sure I will too.

Stephanie Damore said...

Oh, thanks for the congrats too. It's been fun. Who knew I could meet so many fantastic people in one day? I'm going to have to send Nathan a fruit basket or something...hmmm...