Saturday, July 18, 2009

I. Am. Editing.

Editing, like writing, is best done in snippets. No more than a 1,000 words at a time. If I attempt to do more I end up with rubbish. Unfortunately there's no rushing my process. I'd love to spend the weekend editing BEAUTY SECRETS and then blast out my queries. But I can't. It wouldn't be ready, not really.

I believe in this novel and it needs to have a fair chance in the publishing world. Yep, I've gotta wait. Wait for my beta readers. Wait to finish editing. Wait until my MS is fan-flippin'-tastic. Only then will I send out my queries.

Now if I could only find patience...

2 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

You make a good point. After a certain number of words, your eyes just start to blur and you stop being able to read objectively. Although there's something to be said for reading it all at once, while you have that flow going.

Stephanie Damore said...

It's a toss up - and it all depends on the day. Sometimes you get your flow going and you don't want to stop. But that generally happens to me in the writing process, not the editing. I know my mind works best finding typos and whatnot when it's fresh. I blame it on editing ADD =)