Monday, July 13, 2009

Lookin' for Love


It happens every time I'm writing a novel. I box myself up and ignore the rest of the literary world, paranoid that whatever I read will influence my book. Overly cautious? Probably. Justifiable? Absolutely. It's happened more than once. And I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Anyhow, I realize that even though I lock myself away, authors are still out there publishing their novels. And now that I've finished writing another novel I'm eager to read them. I loved BELONG TO ME (de los Santos). But I just didn't feel the same way about VERY VALENTINE (Trigiani) and RUN (Patchett). Honestly, I returned VERY VALENTINE to the library after the first three chapters. Too much description for me and not enough story.

I read RUN over the weekend and kept waiting for it. You know, the I-just-can't-put-it-down feeling? But I put it down. Again. And again.

So now it's back to the library in search for the perfect book. The one waiting for me to devour. Because that's what I do. If I find a book, and I love it, I devour it. Just me and the book. What a perfect day.

No comments: