Friday, August 7, 2009

Hooking Up - The Scenes That Is...

Anyone else have this problem? I've been lost in the world of editing for the last few weeks (obsessed with it really) and I just started querying again (oh what dread!). My manuscript sparkles, but the format? eh...

Here's my dilemma: I write novels in scenes, short 1,000 word sections. Currently BEAUTY SECRETS has 57 of them and I can't figure out how to combine them into chapters. How much do agents really care about format? I have no idea. Anyone have any suggestions on how to combine scenes or what agent's opinions are?

I'm going to search the archives at a few of my favorite agent blogs and see what I can find out.

2 comments:

Robert A Meacham said...

Hi Stephanie,
As little as I know about scenes, I try watching a movie and breaking them up, as if in chapters. One author once told me that if three scenes show close relevancy, then it can be a chapter.
I figure a chapter is at its end when the story needs to take the next push for fleshing out a plot, characters ,or theme change.

Stephanie Damore said...

Robert, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a whirl and see what I come up with.