Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Generation Y? I Don't Think So. (And Other Randomness)

I think I was born in the wrong generation. While I love the internet and technology, I really could do without it all. Crazy I know. For a girl who studies the effects of technology on identity and development, you'd think I would freak without the technology component, but no, not really.

This is something I've been thinking about lately. Really getting back to the basics of what I love about life. I love family. To paraphrase Charlotte Lucas (Pride & Prejudice) "It's such a pleasure in keeping my own home." And while working also gives me pleasure, it's not on the same level.

I may only be 27, but I've already worked in industry for 8 years. I bought my first home at 19, I obtained a BA and an MA by 26, I wrote two novels in the last 18 months, and truthfully, I'm currently bored with it all.

This is the part where I wish life was simpler. Not that it was ever easy, but if this were 1848 I'd be considered quiet accomplished! Okay, maybe I need to quit reading so much Jane Austen, but right now I'm in a bit of a funk, waiting to hear back on a few submissions, trying to find a new job and house in Pittsburgh, and really trying to make smart decisions.

I've also lately felt that writing hasn't been fun. When you make it a business and surround your whole day with writing and trying to get published, it can be extremely exhausting. For a solid year now, and I'm talking each and every day, I've been trying to get published and I've devoted a good chunk of time each day to pursuing this endeavor. It was inevitable that I would become burnt out, and that's what I am right now, burnt out. I want to get back to having fun with writing and not be so obsessed with the whole publishing part, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'd like to think it's a switch I can flick off, but I don't think it's that easy. Hmmm....

So that friends, is currently what's on my mind. Instead of continuing this whiny post, I'm gonna get out my notebook and jot down a couple of ideas, maybe even a short story, and hope that the passion I have for the pen will soon return. As for the rest of life? Well, that can just wait until tomorrow.

4 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hang in there, Steph. It sounds like you need a little writing vacation. Let yourself have a break. It's okay, and you'll be much happier in the long run! :-)

Stephanie Damore said...

It turns out that all I needed was a trip the library. Driving home my new characters wouldn't quit talking, so I opened up my laptop and started typing. I'm feeling good right now. Let's hope this loving feeling lasts.

Holly Rutchik said...

I am taking a break from reading my WONDERFUL prize (I love these authors - THANKS!) to check blogs.
I'm feeling the same way. I did sell 2 essays this year and that has really kept my motivation going. So, maybe try that?

Stephanie Damore said...

Holly, that's awesome that you sold some of your work. Motivation is key to this industry. I'm glad you like your prize, too. There's tons of information in that book that every writer should know.