Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's Not You, It's Me.

Ouch.

No, I'm not talking about The Bachelor, but rather my current WIP, Infinity = Me. I still love the title, but I'm not feeling the story. I haven't touched it in weeks! Sad, I know. Honestly, I haven't even re-read what I wrote a couple months ago. Hmmm...what does that mean? What would you do?

Here's what I'm doing: I'm abandoning it for now to start on a new novel, one that my Muse seems to like. I'm not going to fight with her anymore. If she wants a new novel then a new novel she'll get (gosh she's bossy!).

I'm sure I'll go back to Infinity = Me someday (it's a story that I do want to tell), but right now I have another story brewing and I want to get started on it. It's sad breaking up with a story, but it's something I feel I must do. I'm so mean. Two days after Valentine's Day and all. Talk about being harsh.

7 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Sometimes a little separation is a healthy thing. Good luck with the new stuff - Infinity will be waiting if and when you want to make up. :-)

Stephanie Thornton said...

I agree with Shannon- separation can make the heart grow fonder. I haven't touched Book #2 in months because I was revising Hatshepsut. Now I'm inspired again.

Of course, I have to axe a lot of the initial story, but that's to be expected. :)

Stephanie Damore said...

Thanks girls for the positive comments. I'm thinking a little time is all that's needed to rekindle the love. In the meantime, I'm off to outline!

Carrie Harris said...

There's nothing wrong with a trial separation! I've separated with three books now. I eventually went back to one because it kept leaving me flowers and calling me at random hours of the night... and it sold.

And in the meantime, you get to work on the New Hotness! Woo!

Stephanie Damore said...

Carrie, you're right. It's all in the courting. We'll see if Infinity = Me can make me swoon once more. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Melanie Golden said...

I think you should REALLY look at Frankie's post on SNIS. =P
http://frankiediane.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Damore said...

Melanie--too perfect. Thanks for sharing. Although in this case, I really think my SNI is better than my current WIP. Honestly, I was never in love with my current (or would that now be ex?) WIP and am excited to work on somethig new for a while (like the next several months).